2.18.2010

[An Eye-Closing Bite of] *Stovetop Creamed Coconut Rice Pudding*

You know, 'cause that first bite is so good, your involuntary reaction is to close your eyes... and say "Yummmmm."



Okay, I'm new to the blog-world, so... please be nice to me? :) I'm saying this because I'm including this post as part of Pennywise Platter Thursday 02/18/10, and it might be the first blog post on this blog that people actually read. That makes me a wee bit nervous! (Prior to this one, I've just been kind of warming up, amusing myself and sometimes my husband.)

Anyway, I woke up early craving this. I couldn't find a recipe that fit my ingredients (I'm not running to the store at 6 am) and my criteria (Real Food!), and I was feeling too impatient to do the 2-hour oven bake, so... I made a recipe up. The result is rich, wholesome, satisfying and, to quote my husband, "Great for breakfast." It's also great as a dessert or snack. This makes 4-6 servings (4 as a breakfast, 6 as a snack).

And now, the recipe you've been waiting for. I've never made this before. I've never made any rice pudding before. Yeah... I'm kinda new to the cooking thing (only about 1.5 years of solid practice).  But try it anyway!



Ingredients:


* 1 3/4 - 2 cups of rice (soaked brown, a.k.a. GABA rice, is best. I used dry, unsoaked white, because it is what I have - frugally purchased in a 20-lb. bag and stored in recycled jars.)

* 4 eggs (pastured is best, but if you, say, just moved to a big city and haven't any pastured, get some Certified Humane. 2 brands I have noticed as Certified Humane & commonly find in supermarkets are Pete & Gerry's, and Nellie's brand - but be careful as not all Nellie's eggs are Certified Humane. If you're wondering why I consider that the next-best option, read this or this.)

* 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

* 2 Tbsp. cinnamon (dried spice. Of course, you can use fresh if you have it!)

* 1/2 tsp. ginger (ditto the cinnamon)

* 3 oz. pure creamed coconut (I used half of a 6-oz. package, but would probably use more next time. Try it and see how much you like. I used Grace brand, it's "pennywise" and contains nothing but pure coconut - no preservatives or anything added. I've had it for 5 months in my pantry!)

* 2 Tbsp. honey (raw, regular, whatever you have. You can also use palm sugar, maple syrup, etc., instead of honey.)

* 1.5 - 2 cups of heavy (and I mean heavy) cream - preferably raw (Disclaimer! In the photo down below, my cream looks weird. This is because it was pretty much frozen. When it was delivered, the container had opened a tiny bit. The guy told me to keep it in the bottom of the fridge, in the back, and make sure my fridge is cold. The result is frozen. Trust me, it was still good.)

* Pinch of salt

* Filtered water


Instructions:

1. In a pot or saucepan, add rice and water to cover. Add a pinch of salt and some vanilla extract while you bring it to a boil.

2. Turn the heat down to Low (or Medium-Low, depending on your stove. I have a gas stove, so this is the heat setting which I used.) Cover it with a lid and leave it for about 5 minutes.

3. Stir and add creamed coconut. Add more water as needed (like if you were making risotto). Add cinnamon & ginger. You can also add other spices if you like.
This is where it's going to start smelling like heaven. Stir and cover. Leave it for 2-3 minutes.

4. Stir and add more water as needed (remember, like risotto). Add the honey and stir well. Cover.

5. Stir it every 1-2 minutes. As it thickens up, stir more often. Otherwise, the bottom will stick and burn.

6. When it looks like this:
remove from heat and immediately crack four eggs into the pot, like this:

Break the yolks and stir vigorously. The egg will cook into the pudding a bit, because it's hot, and you don't want it looking like egg drop soup, so stir like crazy.

7. Gather bowls, spoons, and people to eat it with. Then take the cream and add it into the pot. Stir well to incorporate. (If you thought it smelled good before, wait 'til you add some cream from a grass-fed cow. Man, that smell is amazing.) Serve & enjoy! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment